[Sca-cooks] Sour syrup?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Nov 15 15:04:56 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 10:20 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:
> Tony Hunt in volume one of Anglo-Norman medicine: Roger Frugard's
> "Chirurgia"
> lists it as "sirop aceptous, syrop acetous 13,21 decoction of honey
> and vinegar [
> siropus acetosus]."
>
> The version of the Tacuinum Sanitatis titled The four seasons of the
> House of Cerruti provides a recipe for "SYRUP OF VINEGAR Siropus
> acetosus." See page 61. See also Medical illustrations in medieval
> manuscripts for another translation.
>
> Johnnae

Is there any chance it could involve cherries? Just asking because
there's the acerola cherry- but I don't know if it was called that
before or after Sanitatis or if it is western European even. I do know
it is high in vitamin C and could see it being used as medicine.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore