[Sca-cooks] Eat, Fry, Love OP OT

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 09:30:27 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 4:27 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

>> So what are people eating in just a week?

I have inherited Cooking The Family Thanksgiving and am battling my
mother to get to cook some interesting things.  I =want= to make the
infamous Black Turkey, best turkey ever, honestly, but I think it scares
Mom. [http://www.epiphyte.net/misc/recipes/black-turkey.html]  Instead
I'll be doing my own spin on Alton Brown's Brined Turkey with a little
more help from Penzey's interesting spice combos.

Sides:  Sweet potatoes with butter and maple syrup.  Cauliflower with
pesto [because our basil plants are lovely this year].  Fresh corn from
the stand, with very little done to it because it is already awesome.

Brother John the Pie Man is making pies, his choice.  He's been talking
about Orange Meringue, if we can get sour oranges.  Regular lemon won't
hurt anybody's feelings around here, or else the lime tree is producing
copiously as well.  And one other thing, maybe blueberry.

I have one fruited spice bread in the fridge that has been soaking in
rum for a good long while, and it's time to make its debut.

Cheers,
Selene