[Sca-cooks] Out of Period: Cotton Candy?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 21 03:42:01 PST 2011

The flavored sugar can be purchased through places that rent the
machines for school carnivals and parties. Look in the yellow pages.

I think we used pink bubblegum and blue raspberry the last time I
operated one of the large commercial machines. That was when Patrick
was in junior high and it was one of those end of year parties.
I tend to use just plain granulated sugar when we make it here at
home. I have one of the small machines.
-----
Information on the history etc from my notes

Bruce Feiler article from Gourmet titled "Spun Heaven."

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2000/02/spunheaven

Prior to the inventions of the machines we have various pulled sugars
that can be pulled into threads.
Pashmak which is a type of Persian candy floss/cotton candy made
 > > from sesame oil and sugar which is eaten with the fingers. (Gotta
love
 > > Wikipedia's definitions) Synonyms Persian Fairy Floss
 > > There was a picture of Persian Floss in the November 2005 issue
 > > of Food and Wine. Page 113.
 > > Hand-spun and pink. http://www.pariya.com/

The Ottomans made something called Keten Halwassi which was a type of
 > "fairy floss" > as early as the 17th century. Today it's known as
pismaniye (if coarse),
 > and saray helvasi (if more fine).
 > Pismaniye packages say that "Cotton Delight Koska (Pismaniye)
contain--
 > Ing: Sugar, wheat meal, vagetable butter, citric acid, aroma
identical
 > to naturel (vanilia), pistachio nuts."

There's also Dragon Beard Candy which came up on Sca Cooks several
years ago.
It's a form of pulled sugar strand candy that's very old too.
http://www.yuzumura.com/pc-12-9-bamboo-garden-icy-crispy-dragon-beard-candy.aspx
----
If you go to YouTube and search under Dragon Beard you can find a
number of
these videos now. The Persian can also be seen.

Johnnae