[Sca-cooks] Out of Period: Cotton Candy?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 21 22:36:55 PST 2011

<<< Cotton candy is a form of spun sugar and spun sugar supposedly
crops up in
the 15th Century.  For some of the older recipes try:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcandy.html#cottoncandy and do chase
the link
out to The Complete Confectioner.

Bear >>>

Thank you. I would have assume cotton candy was well post-period,
although I think we may have dicsussed spun sugar previously. I'm sure
that a "cotton candy" machine would sure make it easier though,
especially in quantity.

In period they did flavor granulated sugar by immersing other items in
it.

Here's some previous discussion on this:
flavord-sugars-msg (8K) 3/27/05 Period flavored, infused sugars.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/flavord-sugars-msg.html

Note that due to somehow getting dropped from the site section index,
while this file is on the site. You can't get to it from the index,
but you can from the link I give above. I will fix the link as soon as
I can.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com