[Sca-cooks] Non-Period Food for Non-Vigil

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 23 04:49:48 PDT 2011

A friend with a Japanese persona is getting Laureled at Twelfth Night. This is one of only two non-camping Kingdom events, being held in a hotel (the other is our Collegium, usually held in a school). She is not having an SCA vigil, which she thinks is not appropriate for Pelicans or Laurels anyway, and definitely not for her persona. Instead she wants a nice little party.

She doesn't care if the food is not period and not Japanese, although either is OK. She just wants stuff non-foodie people will enjoy. She's planning to buy some decent sake and some good quality mochi from a local Japanese sweet shop. Otherwise, i am doing the food.

I am at somewhat of a loss for what dishes to have. I want stuff that isn't too messy - not too much potential for dripping or staining. It needs to be prepared elsewhere. We can bring coolers, but we can't exactly cook in the hotel room, although i do have a crock pot and can borrow more.

I throw myself upon the collective wisdom for suggestions.

Thanks,
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)