[Sca-cooks] beer/ale, cheese soup

Antonia di B C dama.antonia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:18:52 PDT 2011

On 12/10/2011 10:49 AM, wheezul at canby.com wrote:
> Anna Wecker has a recipe for cheese soup to give to a woman in child bed.
> It basically consists of the best grated cheese (green or aged Swiss is
> mentioned) a fine meat broth, which might contain a bit of meat.  After
> the cheese and broth are heated and combined to a smooth state,  hot
> schmaltz, saffron, mace and salt are added.  An option is given to add
> crushed pepper or caraway.  Finally egg yolks are stirred in. It can
> satisfy the cravings of pregnant, sick and old folk.

Maestro Martino also has a cheese-and-egg soup with bread.

To make zanzarelli. To make ten platefuls, take eight eggs, half a libra of
grated cheese, and breadcrumbs, and mix these things together. Then take a
pot of meat broth colored yellow with saffron and put it on the fire; and
when it begins to boil put in this mixture and stir with a spoon. And when
it seems to have thickened, then remove the pot from the fire and serve up,
then sprinkle with spices.

I've made it a couple of times for feasts, and it's very well received. The texture is lightly curdled rather than smooth.
(I will have to allow that it's not much like your typical beer-and-cheese soup, though.)

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo