[Sca-cooks] Dumplings & Puff Paste - questions...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Oct 7 07:09:09 PDT 2011

Ok I don't know the common source yet or if the Codex 1601 is perhaps
later
than 1600 in this section but both the dumpling and puff paste recipes
appear here in in these works from the 1650s.
The language is remarkably similar.

The recipes follow one after another in the texts The transcriptions
come from EEBO-TCP.

To make Paste for Dumplins.

Season your flower with Pepper, Salt, and Yest, let your water be more
then warm, then make them up like Manchets, but let them be somewhat
little, then put them into your water when it boyleth, and let them
boil an hour, then butter them.

To make Puffe-paste.

Take a quart of flower, and a pound and a half of butter, and work the
half pound of butter dry into the flower, then put three or four Eggs
to it, and as much cold water as will make it lithe paste, then work
it in a piece of a foot long, then strew a little flower on the table,
and take it by the end, beat it untill it stretch long, then put the
two ends together, and beat it again, and so doe five or six times,
then work it up round, and roul it up broad, then beat your pound of
butter with a rouling pin, that it may be lithe, then take little bits
of your butter, and stick it all over the paste, then fold up your
paste close, and coast it down with your rowling pin, and roul it out
again, and so doe five or six times, then use it as you will.

A choice manual of rare and select secrets in physick and chyrurgery
collected and practised by the Right Honorable, the Countesse of Kent,
late deceased  by Elizabeth Grey, Countess of Kent, 1581-1651.
1653.

Works attributed to the Countess of Kent appear in a variety of
editions and parts.

The recipe section also appears separately in Kent, Elizabeth Grey,
Countess of, 1581-1651.
A true gentlewomans delight Wherein is contained all manner of
cookery: together with preserving, conserving, drying and candying.
Very necessary for all ladies and gentlewomen. Published by W. I. gent.
1653
To make Paste for Dumplins.

Season your flower with Pepper Salt, and Yest let your water be more
than warm, then make them up like Manchets, but let them be
somewhat           little,· then put them into your water when it
boileth, and let them boil an hour, then butter them.

To make Puffe-paste.

Take a quart of flower, and a pound and a half of butter, and work the
half pound of butter dry into the flower, then put three or four Eggs
to it, and as much cold water as will make it lithe paste, then work
it in a piece of a foot long then strew a little flower on the table,
and take it by the end, beat it untill it stretch long, then put the
two ends together, and beat it againe and so do five or six times,
then work it up round, and roul it up broad, then beat your pound of
butter with a rouling pin, that it may be lithe, then take little bits
of your butter, and stick it all over the paste, then fold up your
paste close, and coast it down with your rowling pin, and roul it out
again, and so do five or six times, then use it as you will.

Johnnae