[Sca-cooks] Early Period varieties of vegetables

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 25 22:09:20 PDT 2012

Tre said:
<<< Hmm...thanks. I may rethink the purple carrots then, and just use
parsnips instead, as part of my research is showing that carrots and
parsnips were almost interchangeable for a while, since they were very
similar. I'll do further research first, though, as I keep finding
conflicting information. (Currently I'm looking up information
specifically on the history of carrots.) >>>

carrots-msg       (61K)  6/12/10  Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/carrots-msg.html

In there is also the link to the "carrot museum" in Europe. After I
had some email discussion with him and we discussed the subject some
on this list, I think the proprietor/curator was going to be digging
through the resources in the above file. :-) But he already had a lot
of info I hadn't seen before. I don't have the link readily available,
though.

You didn't mention grains, but those have changed as well.
Ancent-Grains-art (24K)  5/30/01  "Looking into Ancient Grains" by
Mistress
                                      Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/Ancent-Grains-art.html

Sheep have also changed since Norse and Anglo-Saxon times, but that
may mostly be in their wool, not in their meat. But I do have some
articles on period sheep breeds and have a few more to add.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris