[Sca-cooks] parsnips

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Thu Apr 26 09:50:22 PDT 2012

Here you go! Translation and redaction of recipe by David Walddon.
The reference appear in the new newest PPC article "The Hidden Recipes of Bartolomeo Sacchi" but the redactions do not.
As you can see from the redaction I have chosen to use parsnips instead of carrots but Platina suggests that both are fine.
The cooked lettuce and parsnip pottage is excellent.
The Parsnip tidbits are wonderful (but deep fried anything is a good thing!)
Enjoy.
Let me know if there are any changes you all suggest to the redaction or translation.
I have tried to fit them onto a small recipe sized card so they can be easily shared with at events.

Eduardo

PS - There is a slight difference in my translation from the Milham. Specifically scoping out the core of the parsnips.

ORIGINAL TEXT and TRANSLATION
Recipe One

De Cariota et Pastinaca
. . . Bis elixanda est pastinaca: prima decoctio abiicitur, secundo cum lactuca incoquitur, inde in patinam translata cum sale aceto coriandro pipere condita esui percommode datur;

On Carrots and Parsnips

. . . Twice boil the parsnips. The first boiled water should be thrown away. The second time, cook with lettuce. Next transfer to a “patinam” (pot or pan) and with salt, vinegar, coriander and pepper. And when it is composed (like this) it is very commendable to present.

BARTOLOMEO SACCHI’S PARSNIPS AND LETTUCE

6 quarts boiling salted water

2 pounds parsnips, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes

1 pound red lettuce, chopped

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander seed, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste

¼ cup white wine vinegar, or to taste

Place the parsnips and lettuce in the salted water. Bring back to boil and continue to cook until they are fork tender, approx. 10 minutes.

 Drain the parsnips and lettuce. Return them to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Over low heat mash the parsnips and cook for 10 minutes.

 Serve hot, as a side dish for 10 to 12 people.

ORIGINAL TEXT and TRANSLATION

Recipe Two

De Cariota et Pastinaca

. . . Frigi etiam excavata post primam concoctionem in oleo et liquamine farina involuta solet.

On Carrots and Parsnips

 . . . Also Fried: Scoop them out (of the water) after the first boiling (and) as is the custom toss them in “farina” (flour or meal) and (fry) in oil and fat.

DE HONESTA DEEP FRIED PARSNIPS TIDBITS

2 cups rendered pork fat (lard)

1 cup olive oil

6 quarts boiling salted water

1 pounds parsnips, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes

1 cup semolina

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

In a medium cast iron pot bring the pork and olive oil up to 360 degrees. In a separate pot boil the parsnips in the salted water until they are almost fork tender, approx. 5 minutes. Drain them and immediately toss them in the semolina until they are completely coated with the flour.

 Deep-fry the parsnips in the fat and oil, in small batches, until golden.

 Serve hot, as an appetizer or side dish for 4 to 6 people.

Translation and Recipe Copyright D.Walddon 2011

Maestro Eduardo Francesco Maria Lucrezia, O.L., O.P. Barone del Corte di AnTir

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.net