[Sca-cooks] Festins merovingiens -- new cookbook

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Apr 30 09:37:04 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aruvqan" <aruvqan at gmail.com>

> As long as they didn't pull a Vehling on it. His Apicius sucks donkey hind
> end.

While Vehling's translation is flawed, it is better than no translation at
all.  Secondly, why would you expect professional historians to produce a
work less than their professional standards or not be better than an amatuer
linguist of 76 years ago?

> Look, modern haute cuisine has sod all to do with period cooking in
> general. The closest thing that Merovingia has to molecular cuisine is the
> humor theory foods of the tacitum sanitas...

Chef Wynants is in his 70s, so entry into the culinary field predates the
microwave.  He is a classically trained chef and the basic methods of his
trade are the same that the Romans and that the Merovingians used.   His
knowledge is a compliment to the linguistic and historical knowledge of
Dierkins and Plouvier.  The CVs of this group suggest that any work they
produce will be creditable.

> Now if they were to do the equivalent to Sir Cariadoc's careful research
> and interpretation that would be one thing, but I have a feeling it is
> going to be closer to Vehling. The supposed 'process of experimental
> archeology' by an amateur historian of taste and eating rather bothers me.
> Vehling was an amateur historian <roll eyes>

Why would you assume that a team of professional academics and practitioners
would not produce careful research and interpretation?  The limitation I see
is available contemporary Merovingian information and as French historians
with access to the documentation, Dierkins and Plouvier have a better chance
of being right on the subject than Duke Cariadoc or I do.

Frankly, you've stated an opinion without proper supporting evidence, so I
can't accept it as valid.

In any event, the work will speak for itself.

Bear