[Sca-cooks] Festins merovingiens -- new cookbook

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 22:49:05 PDT 2012

On 4/28/2012 4:31 PM, Terry Decker wrote:
> I don't know anything about Yves Cousin, but Alain Dierkins is a noted
> European historian, Liliane Plouvier is a culinary historian and
> Pierre Wynants was the owner and chef at the Comme chez Soi in
> Brussels.  I'd say you have an all star cast, which may bode well for
> the quality of the work.
>
> Bear

As long as they didn't pull a Vehling on it. His Apicius sucks donkey
hind end.

Look, modern haute cuisine has sod all to do with period cooking in
general. The closest thing that Merovingia has to molecular cuisine is
the humor theory foods of the tacitum sanitas...

Now if they were to do the equivalent to Sir Cariadoc's careful research
and interpretation that would be one thing, but I have a feeling it is
going to be closer to Vehling. The supposed 'process of experimental
archeology' by an amateur historian of taste and eating rather bothers
me. Vehling was an amateur historian <roll eyes>