[Sca-cooks] Notice of Rare Cookbooks Stolen

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 12:38:03 PDT 2012

Yes, this theft was noted in the food section of today's newspaper here in San Francisco

"There's a special place in hell for people who steal books; to be precise, Dante put thieves in the eighth circle, right after the corrupt politicians and the hypocrites.
Even worse is the thief who stole seven rare vintage cookbooks out of Celia Slack's car on Monday night.
Sack owns the popular Omnivore Books in Noe Valley (3885 Cesar Chavez St.). The stolen cookbooks date back as far as the 18th century: "The Honours of the Table" (1791), "The London Art of Cookery" (1804), "Almanach des Gourmands" (1805), "A Complete System of Cookery" (1816), "The Cook's and Housewife's Manual" (1826), "The Cook's Oracle" (1827) and "The American Frugal Housewife" (1836).
Sack acquired them in rough shape and spent several months rebinding them and casing them in clamshell boxes. Consider this an alert to all used-book buyers in California to keep their eyes peeled."