[Sca-cooks] To cat or not to cat

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 3 08:16:01 PDT 2012

The  book by Schwabe is called Unmentionable Cuisine in the original edition; it does chronicles why certain animals are eaten and in which cultures. At the risk of repeating an earlier post, the earlier 2012 news reports should explain why
eating cats is not ok in the United States.
"Man Charged For Allegedly Cooking And Eating Cats: Jason Louis Wilmert Arrested In California"
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (He eventually pleaded no contest to eating animals commonly kept as a pet/companion. He was released on time served, given three years probation, ordered to complete community service and get mental health treatment.) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/man-eats-cats_n_1281496.html

Or see this Slate article  "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. Is it legal to eat your cat?"
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/08/here_kitty_kitty_kitty.html

In the contiguous United States, the Canada lynx population is considered threatened, so eating a lynx
would also not be ok. Even the blog by Hank Shaw at Hunter Angler Gardener Cook draws the line at eating wild cats.
http://honest-food.net/2012/03/04/the-lines-we-draw/
The other animals you mentioned are not threatened but fish and game laws vary in each state.

Johnnae