[Sca-cooks] To cat or not to cat

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 01:53:01 PDT 2012

On 4/08/2012 10:43 a.m., Glenn Adrian wrote:
> My interpretation of traditional eel cooking in New Zealand is simply
> smoking or simply slice and grill or BBQ.  Not sure if the Maori have other
> recipes, or what other recipes people have come across.  Pie would be an
> obvious one, but I've never seen it.  In terms of restaurant food it's more
> commonly Asian cuisine.  I must say that what river you spear the eel in
> reputably affects the taste.  The one our scouts speared when I was a leader
> was out of a rather muddy stream, and tasted like it.  It was O.K.  but not
> sellable.  There is however a very small eel trapping industry here.

Yup, I think they're some commercial harvesting over at Lake Forsyth.  I
think before the earthquake you could get nice enough ones out of the
Heathcote, as well, but I'm not sure how safe that is now.

> Possum (Australian not American possum) would put people off because of the
> risk of TB.  Rabbit is not commonly available in shops, but since it is a
> national pest large numbers of rabbits are shot.  I still like to shoot
> bunnies and possums whenever I get the chance.  So many families have
> favourite recipes. I have had a couple of stews including at SCA events.
> Lots of small bones, and variable flavour as it depends on the forage, etc.,
> but mostly reasonable meat.

Mm, I think we had some young bunnies done by Isabell Winter-- full of
wee bones, but so very succulent.  I could have eaten the whole dish on
my own.

Possum's not normally on most people's menus, but hares and wallabies
are certainly fair game.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo