[Sca-cooks] Holiday dining and Santa Stuff

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Sat Dec 29 21:40:03 PST 2012

Christmas dinner was plain as plain: turkey, roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc; plain beef meat handpies & KFC wedges for Mr Picky. I made some 2-bite sized mince pie-lets, about a tablespoon each. Also tried "Butter tarts" from Best Thing I Ever Ate. Supposed to be Canadian, but my West Coast Canadian never heard of them. Raisins & brown sugar for filling. I used craisins. Way too sweet; although both the "butter tarts" and the mince are a lot better after resting for a couple of days in the cold. Made brown sugar-or-almond biscotti, and that went well. The Head Cook got the turkey brining PERFECTED this year! By Sat nite, the remaining scraps of breast are still moist and SOOO tender! We've actually eaten more than usual, this bird, because the meat has stayed so nice, and it was a big bird for just the two of us to finish off.

Relevant cookery type prezzies: Got Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, Greco & Rose's Good Wife's Guide AND Crossley-Holland's Living and Dining in Medieval Paris. Cocatrice and Lamprey Hay came in sometime last fall. Got myself the Tasha Tudor Cookbook, partly for the illustrations; will have to see how it cooks. (Also got the 3d iteration of TT's Night before Christmas, which is $500 for collector's editions on-line - the family store is re-printing things again, hurrah, what I got was a paperback for about $9.) Stocking edibles included various Mozart marzipans, lots of nuts, chocolate, local-made flavored nuts (sweet & salty coconut hazelnuts, and sweet cardamom almonds) from "Nuts Around the World" in Corvallis, the 2d-best-ever (Crystal brand) dark chocolate almonds, some dried fruit, and it's gonna' take WEEKS to get weight back to normal!

Probably not going to do anything particular for New Year's; the Christmas guest will be gigging like mad on the Eve; maybe we'll do a Doctor catch-up-thon on Tuesday. Going to leave the tree up til the 6th this year. probably.

Chimene et al