[Sca-cooks] Interesting artilce-

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 1 09:47:39 PST 2012

Katira wrote:
>HA! I just saw a recipe in a food magazine for a 'vinegar drink'.
> While the procedure was a little different, it was for all intents
> and purposes sekanjaban.

So, what was the recipe?

There is a traditional American farmer's beverage called switchel (various spellings) and haymakers' punch, which is water mixed with vinegar sweetened with honey, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, or molasses, or a blend of 2 or 3 - depending on what was locally cheap and available - and often flavored with ginger. Many decades ago i ran across a recipe for it somewhere, cut it out, put it on my fridge, and drank it when it was really hot out. I was clearly not living in the San Francisco East Bay where we haven't had summer for several years (apparently the SF South Bay still has summers).

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
formerly and sometimes still Anahita