[Sca-cooks] Subtleties and St. George

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Feb 18 18:46:07 PST 2012

I mentioned 3 references in my Tournaments Illuminated article.
"Subtleties and Sotleties: A Survey of Splendid Foolishness" (a
combined version of the two earlier articles on subtleties) Spring
2007 #162 TI. pp. 19-23, 31.

A circa 1425 account mentions “A soteltee Seint-jorge on horsebak, and
sleynge the dragun”  and  after another course “a soteltee: a castel
that the Kyng and the Qwhene comen in for to see how Seint Jorge
slogh.” The account appears in
A collection of ordinances and regulations for the government of the
royal household, (1790) page 450. Source is the Arundel MS 334.

Saint George appears earlier account from the reign of Henry V and an
account of a feast dedicated to Saint George.  "And the first sotilte
that came on the table was our Lady armyng Seint George and an angill
doingc on his sporys The secounde sotilte was Seint George fightynge
with the dragon and the spere in his honde The therde sotilte was a
castell and Seint George and the kynges doughter ledyng the lambe in
to the castell gate.” Page 55 Three fifteenth-century chronicles: with
historical memoranda by John Stowe

Hope this helps

Johnnae