[Sca-cooks] Lent is coming!

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Feb 19 15:57:49 PST 2012

At Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:16:19 -0500, Sharon Palmer wrote:

>No it doesn't say to boil them, but they are called Bretzel and
>Precedella, which also means pretzel.
>
>Ranvaig

"Precedella" sounds as though it might be Italian.Mine are from an Italian cookbook and calledBrazzatelle. My daughter assures me that she has linguistic evidence that they are bagels, but I'm not sure how conclusive it is. And to my ear, "Precedella" and "Brazzatelle" sound as though they could be related.

I believe modern pretzels, at least the ones in the King Arthur flour book, are boiled and then baked, as are bagels--in fact, the book treats them as variants of the same recipe. But I think those are soft pretzels and don't know how the crunchy kind are made.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/