[Sca-cooks] Barley

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:04:59 PST 2012

Do you mean to grind into flour? If it's all you can get, it'd give you a type of barley flour, but the pearling process removes the bran and germ leaving just the starchy bit; this not only takes away most of the barley's nutrition, but IMO quite a lot of the flavour as well- it's like the difference between white and whole-wheat flour. I'd suggest you check the local hhealth food shop, and see if they carry barley flour, or barley groats (cracked barley)if you have a grinder; actually a lot of supermarkets seem to have health food sections you might find one or the other in.
If you're thinking of using the pearl barley as is, then I don't think it'd work at all

Dan