[Sca-cooks] soooooo...

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:59:37 PST 2012

Well, either vegetarian or or not.  I do have, on hand, 44 ounces of goat
cheese, a large container of greek yogurt, and 2 or 3 packages of cream
cheese.  It should be something either that can be kept warm in a crock
pot, or can be served cold or room temp.

Something that requires minimal additional purchases.  I don't know how to
make couscous....is it easy?

As for rice, well, I'm afraid to provide a starch; 2 years ago, everybody
brought bread, and that was a disaster.  Unless it's something more than
just rice.

I do have a small box of couscous on hand.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM, <wheezul at canby.com> wrote:

> Speaking of milk rice...
>
> My go to recipe comes from page 16 of Anna Wecker's cookbook - "Ein ander
> gut Essen von Reiß".  The instructions call for boiling the rice in water
> and drying it (but it doesn't say until soft), and then transferring it to
> boiling milk to cook under cover.  I think the intent of the recipe is
> that the rice is quite soft.  When it's cooked, then a little salt is
> added and variable things can be added either singly or in combination.
> Those include sugar, rosewater, well beaten eggs, crushed almonds, some
> boiled milk, as you desire, or all together if wanted.  You can leave it
> like it is or let it cool and further make gebachens.  Another similar
> recipe a bit earlier calls for just egg yolks and cream or almond milk
> with rosewater and sugar.  It's put into a crust, sprinkled with sugar and
> baked until lightly brown (maybe caramelizing the sugar) and then strewn
> with raisins, or cut up figs. - You know, I haven't made that but it
> sounds really good!
>
> Anna's recipe have a bit of wiggle room in them so I like to add the
> raisins to the first recipe.  One recipe calls for trisanet, which Rumpolt
> describes and cinnamon and sugar, so I think it was acceptable to the
> palate to also use these spices with milk based rice recipes.   This dish
> has been really popular at potlucks as most people know what it is.
>
> Katherine
>
> > Since it appears that beans as a cheap option are out (unless I can get a
> > ride to Yoke's), anyone have any ideas of something authentic, popular,
> > filling and cheap to bring to a Medieval feast?  I"m trying to avoid the
> > standard "bachelor" options, and bring something nice.
> > --
> > Ian of Oertha

Ian of Oertha