[Sca-cooks] soooooo...

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Feb 2 15:18:50 PST 2012

Speaking of milk rice...

My go to recipe comes from page 16 of Anna Wecker's cookbook - "Ein ander
gut Essen von Reiß".  The instructions call for boiling the rice in water
and drying it (but it doesn't say until soft), and then transferring it to
boiling milk to cook under cover.  I think the intent of the recipe is
that the rice is quite soft.  When it's cooked, then a little salt is
added and variable things can be added either singly or in combination.
Those include sugar, rosewater, well beaten eggs, crushed almonds, some
boiled milk, as you desire, or all together if wanted.  You can leave it
like it is or let it cool and further make gebachens.  Another similar
recipe a bit earlier calls for just egg yolks and cream or almond milk
with rosewater and sugar.  It's put into a crust, sprinkled with sugar and
baked until lightly brown (maybe caramelizing the sugar) and then strewn
with raisins, or cut up figs. - You know, I haven't made that but it
sounds really good!

Anna's recipe have a bit of wiggle room in them so I like to add the
raisins to the first recipe.  One recipe calls for trisanet, which Rumpolt
describes and cinnamon and sugar, so I think it was acceptable to the
palate to also use these spices with milk based rice recipes.   This dish
has been really popular at potlucks as most people know what it is.

Katherine