[Sca-cooks] Old World beans (was: soooooo...)

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 03:08:38 PST 2012

Respected friends:
> > --- On Fri, 2/3/12, you <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
> >> While most cultivated
> >> European beans were wiped out by the introduction
> of New
> >> World beans, there are several varieties that
> survived,
> >> including several common ones besides fava.
> >
> >> Stefan
I replied:

--- On Fri, 2/3/12, galefridus at optimum.net <galefridus at optimum.net> wrote:

> Many you already know about, you just
> don't know that you know. Here are a few from memory:
>
> Fava beans, Chickpeas, Mung beans, Cowpeas (or black-eyed peas)
> Grass peas, Lentils, Peas
>
> One of these days I'll get my wife to join this forum and
> hold forth on the list of beans that she found in the
> rabbinical literature, which she says is pretty lengthy and
> thoroughly lays to rest the SCA myth of " only favas and
> chickpeas are period!"
>
> -- Galefridus

Ah. these I already knew about, except "grass peas". I was hoping for more _European_ Broad Beans; AFAIK the only survivor of that specific class, once thousands strong, is the Fava.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

"If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
but it's unlikely to end well."
--Goedjn