[Sca-cooks] History of Bread and baking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 27 15:12:32 PST 2012

If she is focused on Italian, reference Platina.  It has descriptions of
preparing bread and rolls.  Bread recipes are in very short supply in period
as baking was a seperate art from cooking and bakers kept their recipes and
techniques to themselves.  If she is willing to use recipes from the Roman
Empire, try Michael Grant's work on Roman Cookery.

Dupaigne (History of Bread) is interesting but not particularly useful.
H.E. Jacob's Six Thousand Years of Bread is probably more useful for
history.  David is limited as her work is on English yeast baking while most
southern European baking was from starter rather than ale yeast.
Toussaint-Samat has some useful information in A History of Food (beware of
Franco-centrism).  There should also be a number of things out in the
Florilegium as there is an entire section devoted to bread.

If she has any questions, give her my email address.  I may have the answer
in my baking library.

Bear