[Sca-cooks] panforte

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 13:20:13 PST 2012

Urtatim said:
<<< Grumble, grumble. Candied citron is only available in Italy and
too expensive? Hah! Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we can buy
lovely California-grown citrons and candy them ourselves (yes, i have
done this). Plus at my favorite bakery, Crixa, the baker candies her
own citron. What a pile of horse badorties. >>>

Yep, that struck me, too. Even here in central Texas plastic
containers of candied citron spring up among all the other stacks of
candied fruits at Yule time. I bought some last year, to see what they
tasted like, having heard so much about citrons on this list. I wasn't
impressed with them.  Sort of like chewing on chunks of latex although
not quite so plasticy a taste. Similar texture.

<<< And haven't we on this list tried to locate an actual SCA-period
recipe for Panforte or something like it with limited success and
definitely not from the Crusades? And i am shocked, shocked i tell
you, by the final sentence. >>>

panforte-msg      (20K)  5/15/10  A medieval Italian, sweetened,
spiced dessert
                                      bread similar to fruitcake or
Lebkuchen.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/panforte-msg.html

(I have some more to add to this file. Now that it's come up again,
I'll see about doing this as soon as I can. Principally a recipe and
comments by Bear)

fruitcakes-msg    (38K)  6/12/09  Period fruitcakes. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/fruitcakes-msg.html

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com