[Sca-cooks] Interesting artilce-

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jan 30 09:20:57 PST 2012

> And haven't we on this list tried to locate an actual SCA-period recipe
> for Panforte or something like it with limited success and definitely not
> from the Crusades? And i am shocked, shocked i tell you, by the final
> sentence.
>

> Someone sometimes known as Urtatim

You can only fault the author for not providing a source (and hyperbole).
While the recipe is from later, the first reference to panforte is from the
13th Century and there were at least five Crusades in that century
culminating with the loss of Outremere in 1291.  As for the final sentence,
remember that the Fourth Crusade sacked Constantinople (this might present a
case for racial memory, or just bad writing).  What I find odd is that the
author has the monks baking panforte, when the actual reference has them
receiving the "honey and pepper cakes" as rent.

Bear