[Sca-cooks] Translation

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 5 06:48:11 PST 2012

I had to go back and check my notes but I am showing

A Proper New Booke of Cookery
Transcription of the edition in the British Library, published in 1575
by William How.

(c) 2007 Daniel Myers, MedievalCookery.com - This electronic document
may be freely reproduced for non-commercial purposes as long as the
copyright and this notice are included.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/pnboc1575.txt
--

I did work on this title for my paper and presentation on The Tudor
Cookbook Proper.

The undated circa 1557 edition held by Cambridge University’s Corpus
Christi College was published first by Frere in 1913 and that text is
here:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/bookecok.htm

and again by the College in 2002 in a great edition. Review here:
http://home.pcisys.net/~mem/cambridge.html

The 1575 and 1576 are also available through EEBO.
Notaker also indicates two possible additional printings: one for 1546
and one for 1550? but there are no surviving copies.
My notes indicate that there was very little difference between
the 4 printings. Just a few spelling changes and line breaks and the
title varies from proper to propre and cokerye to cookery. It is the
same text with no additions or deletions in terms of recipe counts or
the carving instructions.

Johnnae