[Sca-cooks] A Bean is a bean

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 28 07:12:05 PST 2012

I believe you are referring to favism.  It is not a true allergy but the
result of a genetic deficiency (low production of a metabolic enzyeme),
which, at it's most extreme reaction, can cause brain damage and death.
There are varying degrees to the deficiency and it is most common in ethnic
groups from the Middle East, Africa, and Southeast Asia affecting
approximately 400 million people.  Since the same deficiency provides some
protection against malaria, it is suspected that this is a natural
adaptation for humans in malarial regions.

This doesn't preclude an actual allergy to favas, but that should be rarer.

Bear