[Sca-cooks] ground powder sugar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 25 21:03:27 PST 2012

<<< Katherine wrote:

> I always find that blender ground powder sugar has a distinct sort of
> metallic taste (in different blenders even).  I wonder if I am
> overheating
> the sugar.  Any pointers?

The store bought stuff is so much fluffier and good smelling.
Why is that?
Suey >>>

Since the commercial sugar has corn starch added to absorb moisture I
assume that the freshly ground sugar, being hydroscopic, ie: absorbs
water from the air, is already absorbing moisture and thus appears
less fluffy.

As to the different types of sugar and their different names, we have
had multiple discussions on this over the years of this list. There
are differences between what the British call various types of sugar
vs. what the Americans call them. Castor sugar anyone?

I have tried to put much of these discussions in this file in the FOOD-
SWEETS section of the Florilegium, alhtough I can't remember us
discussing metallic taste when making homemade powdered sugar instead
of buying it in the store.

I tend to agree with Bear that the problem is probably not the sugar
getting hot, but the heat vaporizing some other oils and such that
remain from previous work. Such oils and/or aromatics would vaporize
and spread long before the heat would affect the sugar. On the other
hand, sugar will readily absorb scents and vapors. Hence, the
intentional flavoring of sugar, even in period, by putting aromatics
in or near it.

sugar-msg (172K) 3/ 7/08 Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-msg.html

sugar-sources-msg (28K) 2/ 7/08 Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-sources-msg.html

For a file on intentionally flavoring sugar:
flavord-sugars-msg (8K)  3/27/05  Period flavored, infused sugars.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/flavord-sugars-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com