[Sca-cooks] brown rice

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jul 9 07:23:46 PDT 2012

Greetings,

The problem with brown vs. white rice is that they're both the same
species of plant - it's the amount of milling that determines the color.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found any strong sources which confirm the
color of the rice used in 15th century Europe.  I've started looking
through archaeological sources and late-medieval agricultural texts, but
I haven't had any luck so far.  A good late-period painting would be
nice as well ... the search continues.

Some of the recipes in extant cookbooks involving rice strongly suggest
that it was white rather than brown.  Rice appears prominently in dishes
that are described as "white" (e.g. blancmanger), however that's not
conclusive.

- Doc