[Sca-cooks] brown rice

Daniel And elizabeth phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:29:52 PDT 2012

Actually there are two species of rice in common cultivation:

"Rice is a member of the grass family (Gramineae) and belongs to the genus Oryza under tribe Oryzeae. The genus Oryza includes 20 wild species and 2 cultivated species (cultigens). The wild species are widely distributed in the humid tropics and subtropics of Africa, Asia, Central and South America, and Australia (Chang 1985). Of the two cultivated species, African rice (O. glaberrima Steud.) is confined to West Africa, whereas common or Asian rice (O. sativa L.) is now commercially grown in 112 countries, covering all continents (Bertin et al. 1971)."  All the continents except Antarctica one presumes.

Processing is what makes the color difference.  Rice processed to white rice has a significantly longer shelf life than brown.  That being said, isn't reasonable that if rice were to shipped a distance it would be white rice, especially since white rice would have been considered higher class than brown?

Daniel