[Sca-cooks] walme...can't remember

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Jul 16 09:10:49 PDT 2012

The equivalent in French cooking is for a "bubble" (bouillon, buillon) or
for several bubbles, or perhaps for some number of bubbles.  Sometimes
for "large bubbles".  The highest number mentioned is seven bubbles.

Here is my conjecture:

"To boil for some number of bubbles seems to mean to bring the dish to
the boiling point, over high heat if large bubbles are mentioned, for
a short time, just long enough for the stated number of groups of
bubbles to form and burst, and for the liquid to heave under the
action of these bubbles."

As well as "walme", there is the English word "wallop".


At 6:09 AM -0400 7/16/12, Elise Fleming wrote:
>  Greetings!  I've known that "walme" means a boil or bubble, but 
> just how does one do "boil it a walme or two"?  When I get water to 
> boil, it stays boiling.  How does one get the boiling to happen 
> twice?  If it's turning down the temperature and then back up, how 
> long do we guess this to be?
>  Alys K.
>  --
>  Elise Fleming
>  alysk at ix.netcom.com
>  alyskatharine at gmail.com
>  http://damealys.medievalcookery.com/
>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/8311418@N08/sets/
>  _______________________________________________
>  Sca-cooks mailing list
>  Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
>  http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list