[Sca-cooks] Cooks Playdate at West An Tir War

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 15:49:47 PDT 2012

Some of the oysters were just slurped down raw. Some found their way to the grill and were then consumed plain or with sause. Some used bitter orange juice for sauce.

I made Apicius' Sauce for Oysters (9.6) with pepper, parsley for the loveage, one raw egg yolk, verjuice for the vinegar and wine (it was handy), garum (anchovie extract) and olive oil. It was pretty darn tasty. I need to make some to take to my regular oyster vendors.

I also did Caltelvetro's Artichokes stuffed with marrow and oysters and wrapped in pastry. That was a showy dish and reasonably tasty.

My sweetie made a batch of HangTown Fry (bacon, oysters cooked in the bacon grease and then all scrambled together with eggs) ... Not SCA historical, but the dish is from the California Gold Rush days.

Juana Isabella