[Sca-cooks] OT - cheesecake texture question, regional??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 6 13:22:28 PDT 2012

chimene said:
<<< IS THERE A SCHOOL OF CHEESECAKE where the filling is SUPPOSED to
be thick, heavy, gooey, gluey and heavy, did I say heavy? Heavy. I may
not eat again today.>>>

I don't remember the few medieval cheesecakes as being heavy, but I
suspect some of this depends upon individual taste. Also since you
often aren't given the measurements, you do have some latitude in
changing the amounts, and I assume the redactors of the recipes I
have, have changed things to their tastes. However, here are some
period cheesecake recipes you might wish to try, including the
commentary about them.

cheesecake-msg (52K) 1/12/08 Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/cheesecake-msg.html

Of course you won't find any "chocolate-covered espresso bean"
versions in here.

<<< (oh, I also DID score the hazelnuts-in-shell I was looking for at
the Market, tried a taste of their ground hazelnut pesto-- I have
NEVER tasted pesto in 64 years, but just bought myself a plant >>>

Are pesto type sauces period? What makes a pesto sauce different from
any other period, or modern, green sauce?

Maybe you could make one of these, eventually, with some of your new
plant.
green-sauces-msg (24K) 2/ 5/12 Period green sauces. Sauces of green
herbs.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/green-sauces-msg.html

Stefan

--------