[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Thu May 10 05:43:56 PDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 8:29 PM, Laureen Hart wrote:

> I have a sister who is GI, she is bonkers picky - like, she could be the one
> who asked Bear about what the yeast was grown on. I have to remind her that
> gluten didn't kill her for the first 45 odd years, why is a miniscule trace
> going to kill her now? On the other hand, she always plans on bringing her
> own food and never demands that people cater to her needs.
>
> Randell Raye

Bad, m'kay?

The celiac process that does permanent damage does it in microscopic
increments. Each flare the patient has does progresesivly more and more
damage until the intestinal lining is so damaged it mo longer works to
absorb nutrients. This is why each little flare caused by contact with
gluten is seriously bad.

Think of it as how a rechargable battery dies - each time it is cycled,
it becomes less and less able to hold a charge. After x number of
cycles, it is finally dead and there is nothing you can do to reuse it a
next time.

So yes, celiac people don't just *need* to avoid, gluten, it is a dire
necessity that they avoid even a smidgeon of gluten.