[Sca-cooks] Minor rant - allergies and following directions

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue May 8 10:59:54 PDT 2012

Aelina, you are clearly NOT the problem child she's ranting about.
Thank you Super Teacher!

I recently ran a feast for about 60 where two celiacs showed up without
notice.  This could have been a problem, but I had been under the
influence of my incipient mother-in-law, also celiac, and had carefully
NOT thickened anything with bread crumbs or the like.  Any bread that
got baked on site, the pans were well cleaned by the Super Viking
dishwashers and cross contamination didn't kill anybody.

It being from early Persian sources, if anyone had showed up with a
killer allergy to ALMONDS, there would have been a real problem.
Happily, that did not happen, this time.  But these two have been
thoroughly Talked To about warning us in the future about their very
real health issues.  I mean, what would happen to people like this in
the "real Middle Ages"?  They would die.  That's not an option for us.

Cheers,
Selene Colfox, Caid, cook and bottle washer