[Sca-cooks] Allergies for waterbearers to worry about???

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 05:43:50 PDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 1:35 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> I asked a question on the Trimaris list and got this reply and another
> one which mentioned the orange allergies as well.
>
> I'd never heard of either an allergy to oranges or bleach before. I
> can see where avoiding cross-contamination with oranges could be
> difficult.
>
> I'd hate to have to eliminate oranges at waterbearing.
>
> I can easily imagine being "allergic to"/offended by certain Florida
> orange industry spokespersons, but to oranges??? Maybe this is
> confined to Trimaris/Florida. Unlikely.
You can be allergic to anything with protein in it so I see no reason
someone couldn't be allergic to oranges. You can have chemical
sensitivities - I actually do have one to bleach if it is fairly
concentrated *however* I got it through working with it in
concentrations of over 10% [common household bleach is from 2-5% as a
comparison. It can be found in concentrations of up to 22% but that
tends to be for very specific industrial applications.] It expresses
itself in what appears to be an asthma attack.