[Sca-cooks] Cooking qustion

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 7 18:11:29 PST 2012

A few things.

First, what is called for here is red saunders, which is NOT true sandalwood. In fact, true sandalwood (Santalum album and other Santalum spp.) is not safe to consume. Red saunders, aka red sanders, aka red sandalwood (Pterocarpus santalinus) can be purchased on-line, so it's not that hard to get.

Second, it has little to no flavor if properly prepared and used. It needs to be a very fine powder, and one should not use giant globs of it. The only times i've heard of problems have  been when either the red saunders was not powdered properly so there was splinters and chunks of it in the dish or when the cook in an effort to get a bright red used huge quantities of it. If you powder it yourself, SIFT IT before using. And don't expect it to be bright red. It will be a brick pink.

Third, since it can be purchased on-line, i don't see a real reason to use red food coloring.

Four, if one is set on going the artificial coloring route, well, common red food coloring is the wrong color. Powdered red saunders is rather brick red, so when diluted in the apple mus it is the pinkish version of brick red, a warm pink without blue overtones.

I have made apple mus colored with red saunders.

Urtatim (that's urr-tah-TEEM)