[Sca-cooks] FW: Cooking qustion

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Thu Nov 8 14:00:35 PST 2012

don't mean to be (particularly, 8-)) contrary, considering the reputations of Bear & Urtatim, but I like to look for myself too...

wow, it's been many MANY years since I used "sandalwood" and had not heard then that the yellow-stuff-that-tastes-interesting was dangerous! what I did find out way back when was that there are two kinds of "sandalwood/saunders" -- the yellow-stuff-that-tastes/smells-interesting and the pinky-red-stuff-that-tastes-like-nothing.

OK, friendly google implies that the probable reason I never heard about the dangers of yellow 40 or so years ago, was because that was back before the Age of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy being nearly as pervasive as it is now! I wouldn't be surprised if folks trying to substitute Essential Oil for powdered wood, would get way too much of whatever may be no-no in the real yellow stuff.

does anyone have specific data about the toxicity of food-grade scented sandalwood? because what I found on-line implied you'd have to "drink a litre of essential oil", or "chug 2 cups of powdered wood" to really hurt yourself, even though there are some studies of skin sensitivity & kidney effects.

these sites seem fairly reputable &  scientifically oriented and the impression I got from them is that a) not a lot is really known about effects, and b) "dosages" would have to be very high and over a long period to show general bad effects, although some individuals might be sensitive at "low" levels. and lots of what is known, seems to refer to the essential oil form.
	http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17980948
	http://www.drugs.com/npp/sandalwood-oil.html
	http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/82101-sandalwood-poisonous.html -- note LONG TERM HIGH DOSE

I seem to have only "pink" powder left, but one of those smelled pretty good, so... hmm, 2 and a half jars, one smells good, but all three appear to be the same color, and Retentive Brain Man says I had it all before we got married 30 years ago! so there must be SOME of the smelly stuff in there.

if I was thinking of doing more than experimenting, I'd probably do even more research, but what I found seems kind of weak for disgarding the very nice effect of the scented stuff.

chimene