[Sca-cooks] Downsizing Sugar??

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Nov 28 14:36:24 PST 2012

How humorous.  To save our profits, we're going to cut the amount in the
package and raise our prices.  And of course, not one word about us paying
twice the global retail rate already.  There is price support legislation in
the Farm Bill that limits the amount of imported sugar forcing prices to
about double the world market rate.  Great for sugar companies, lousy for
companies and people who use sugar.  There is a study from Iowa State that
says eliminating the subsidies would save sugar consumers $3.5 billion per
year and create 20,000 new jobs in the food industry.  The counter argument
is ending the price supports would destabilize the domestic sugar industry
and probably close a number of refineries, particularly damaging the sugar
beet industry, as these tend to be local co-ops.

It's been quite a while since the pound of coffee became 11 ounces, so I
guess the 80% downsizing of a bag of sugar is probably here to stay.

Bear