[Sca-cooks] Medieval Jewish Banquet

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 12:38:57 PST 2012

Ranvaig wrote:
> That wasn't the part that I objected to. With better editing my
> comment would be
>
> But they are passing along this nonsense "spice... also hid any spoilage."

The exact quote from the article at jta.org is:
' "White sugar was considered a spice," Toaff said. "And salt and pepper were expensive because they served as 'refigerators' -- they preserved food, and they also hid any spoilage." '

So it looks as if he is saying that salt and pepper were preservatives - and "hid any spoilage." The wording is ambiguous as to whether he included sugar in that statement.

Last night i shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas i'll never know.

Someone sometimes known as Urtatim