[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving trends

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 14:29:36 PST 2012

We'll be cooking the turkey in the Big Green Egg.  We've also got a spiral
ham we'll heat up (have I mentioned that we do not keep a kosher home!)
Mostly a lot of tradition in the house;

appetizers (quick feed people, they may be hungry when they arrive and
there might not be enough food!):
gravlax - it's curring in the refrigerator as we speak
goat cheese with cranberries

dinner:
cranberry sauce with crystallized ginger (homemade) and crystallized lemon
peel (also homemade)
Green Beans (no casserole - no mushroom soup and no fried onions out of a
can) - probably almondine
carrots (just steamed)
salad - someone's bringing it so have no clue what will be in it.
mashed potatoes with lots of roasted garlic
cornbread
sweet potatoes - probably with those little marshmallows but I"m not making
it and I probably won't be eating it either.
dressing (we don't stuff the bird so it's not technically stuffing) -
usually sausage but I might try oyster this year too.
pie (pumpkin and pecan)

We're pretty laid back around here.  Everything will be buffet style and
the football games will be on.

Thanksgiving is a co-leader on my list of favorite holidays (along with
Passover).

Shoshanah