[Sca-cooks] Salt Crust

steve montgomery aeduinofskye at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:08:10 PST 2012

It could certainly be a precursor. I got lucky with Google Books' preview
of Wilkin and Hill's translation of Archestratus' Life of Luxury. On page
82 of the 1994 edition it says "Descale them and bake them well hole, until
tender, in salt." I am going to order the book when I have a book budget
again, moving sucks for that.

So, we have an Arabic source that could maybe be a precursor in the 13th
Century and a Pre-CE source titled Life of Luxury. Somehow I don't think
that this counts as evidence that this is a dish that is "thousands of
years old from all over the world" as David Pasternak tried to claim on an
old episode of ICA that I caught the other night.

Thanks for wandering down this rabbit hole with me.
aeduin