[Sca-cooks] Downsizing Sugar??

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Nov 28 18:02:02 PST 2012

I think there was a strong tradition of baking and preserving in this country
where people went through large quantities of sugar. When one put jam in quarts,
the sugar got used up. One either ate
sweetened breakfast cereal or spread sugar over the corn flakes too.
The South had their sweetened ice tea tradition too. We are talking really sugared drinks.
Hence the 10 pound bags and canisters.

Johnnae

The interesting thing from my point of view is that this is really large amounts of sugar you're talking about here. The most common sugar packet size in my supermarket is 1kg, you also get 1/2kg and 2kg.

Is it that the people on this list are all cooks, and tend be more likely to cook things from scratch and to go through larger quantities of cooking supplies, or is there more of a habit of buying sugar (and other goods??)  in bulk in the US? I've only ever bought sugar in 2kg packets when I'm planning on doing a large baking run for a special occasion, or jam.

Margaret/Emma
Melbourne, Australia/Krae Glas, Lochac