[Sca-cooks] Fresh Cheese was Little Black Zambo

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 5 20:09:46 PDT 2012

Fresh cheese is a general term for cheese produced from cow, sheep or goat
milk coagulated by adding rennet or an edible acid (lemon juice, vinegar,
etc.).  The whey is drained and the curds are pressed to produce a soft,
unripened white cheese.  Usually, I can find this in the grocery as farmer's
cheese.

Cream cheese is a form of fresh cheese made from unseperated milk spiked
with additional cream.  The term shows up in English about 1583.

There is probably a better definition in the Oxford Companion to Food, but
it isn't to hand at the minute.

Bear