[Sca-cooks] Pre-Roman Britain

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Sep 14 16:30:39 PDT 2012

The Cassiterides (Herodotus, 450 BCE) were the northern European islands
from which tin came.  The term probably encompasses the tin mines in the
British Isles, Brittany and Iberia.  Tin mining was known in the Isles from
about 3,000 BCE, which is the same time as some of the first commercial
olive cultivation in Crete.  Himilco explored the area for Carthagian trade
around 500 BCE.  There was extensive trade into Central Europe and the
Mediterranean for at least 100 years before Caesar came calling.  Strabo's
Geography, written in Augustus's reign well before the invasion of 43 AD,
says that the British paid more in customs and duties than could have been
raised by conquest and taxation.

Such finds wouldn't surprise me if they showed up in a Bronze Age site from
1000 BCE.  Trade was far more extensive than most people recognize.

Bear