[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 18:22:44 PDT 2012

I don't understand your point of view. After the Roman were wiped out
from earth by Barbaric people or tribes the most knowledge they had
were gone and buried for many centuries. All the acqueducts and paved
roads built by Rome in Spain, England and many other places, the monks
kept on the convents some manuscripts but the skills were forgotten.
It took many years for the European to rediscover the old technics and
it was most the Arabs who contributed to it and made the Renaissance
possible.
When Spain and Portugal claimed the New World for themselves it was
two countries with a high level of illiteracy and submerged in a
Middle Age where the knights didn't work with their hands and saw as
dishonoring take care of themselves. When they come to South America
they were not able to appreciate the culture of the people they met.
They despised their religions and beliefs, their way of life, their
buildings, their art.
There is an interesting book written by the Bulgarian linguist Tveztan
Todorov, "The Conquest of America, the Question of the Other". He says
the European were not able to "see" the others, since their mirror
didn't show anything they could recognize. Very similar to what
happened the Christian Crusades when they come as conquerors to the
Middle East.
Ana

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/2012 1:11 AM, Ana Valdés wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about architecture and engineering.
>
> Pyramids? Not that many ways to stack dirt and the pyramid shape is pretty
> much it. Canals? High water table and ditch = canal, no big engineering feat
> there either. Water flows downhill, if it was the other way then we would
> have something. Roads? Walk the same direction often enough, you make a
> path. It is not a big leap to lay rock down to reduce slogging in mud if it
> rains. There really isn't anything spectacular on either side of the pond,
> and the new world was rather lacking in the wheel and large animal
> zooculture. At least the old world made use of the wheel and dray animals.
>
> We need to stop the blind assumptions of the past and look at each culture
> through the filter of actual archeological and anthropological discoveries,
> not the wishy washy interpretations of Victorian armchair scholars with no
> real practical experience.
>
> --
> __
> musings of an insomniac - Cracked Pots and Psycho Investigators at
> http://aruvqan.wordpress.com/

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci