[Sca-cooks] Food and racism and colonialism

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 05:28:09 PDT 2012

My observation was not an opinion or a theory but a fact that many
historians pointed out and that not means anything today. Many
convicts in the 16th and 17th century were political dissent,
religious prosecuted or people in debt.
In Spain the situation was not different, the nobility sent their
younger members as Conquerors but the crews of the boats and the
settlers were people Spain didn't wish to keep, as the Canary Islands
population, a population in rebellion to the Spanish Catholic Kings.

"The British used North America as a penal colony through a system of
indentured servitude. Convicts would be transported by merchants and
auctioned off to plantation owners upon arrival in the colonies. It is
estimated that some 50,000 British convicts were sent to colonial
America, representing perhaps one-quarter of all British emigrants
during the 18th century.[1] The British also would often ship Irish
and Scots to the Americas whenever there were rebellions in Ireland or
Scotland, and they would be treated similar to the convicts, except
that this also included women and children.
When that avenue closed in the 1780s after the American Revolution,
Britain began using parts of what is now known in Australia as penal
settlements. Some of these included Norfolk Island, Van Diemen's Land
(Tasmania) and New South Wales. Advocates of Irish Home Rule or of
Trade Unionism (the Tolpuddle Martyrs) often received sentences of
deportation to these Australian colonies.[citation needed]. Without
the allocation of the available convict labor to farmers, pastoral
squatters and Government projects such as roadbuilding, colonisation
of Australia would not have been possible, especially considering the
considerable drain on non-convict labor caused by several goldrushes
that took place in the 19th century.
Bermuda, off the North American coastline, was also used during the
Victorian period. Convicts housed in hulks were used to build the
Royal Naval Dockyard there, and during the Second Boer War, Boer
prisoners-of-war were sent to the archipelago and imprisoned on one of
the smaller islands.
In colonial India, the British had made various penal colonies. Two of
the most infamous ones are on the Andaman islands and Hijli. In the
early days of settlement, Singapore was the recipient of Indian
convicts, who were tasked with clearing the jungles for settlement and
early public works."

Ana

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/2012 9:22 PM, Suey wrote:
>>
>> . Gringos do not understand the difference between class lines and
>> protecting our servants. Perhaps that is a difference between Gringos and
>> Latins.
>
> Excuse me? Would you like to see pictures of the grave of the family nanny
> and maid of all work in our family cemetary plot? When she grew too old to
> work she first lived with my Uncle John until he grew too unwell to take
> care of her, then she lived with my parents as an honored guest until she
> died.
>
> Do not understand? Byotch, please. I am so white a gringa I practically glow
> in the freaking dark. My family has been in the US since the 1630s and we
> were not transportees, convicts or anything like that. Both lines, one in
> the Mass Bay Colony and the other line in Nieu Amsterdam before it was New
> York.
>

> --
> __
> musings of an insomniac - Cracked Pots and Psycho Investigators at
> http://aruvqan.wordpress.com/

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci