[Sca-cooks] Period breeds of chickens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 29 15:19:42 PDT 2013

Brekke asked:
<<< Could anyone provide me with information on chicken breeds available in
Europe during our time period (date and place would be a plus)?? And if
yo know of any such breeds, is there any source where I could get them
around NYC?? We're trying something, just for fun here: comparing
several types of chicken using one recipe (Markham's excellent way to
cook chicken) for flavor comparison. >>>

Marcus gave you a very good reply. I learned a number of things from his short snippet. Thank you, Marcus.

For some reason the digest got his message, and Ana's, before Brekke's message showed up.???!

For some of our previous discussion on period chickens, you might also check out this file in the ANIMALS section of the Florilegium:
fowls-a-birds-msg(120K) 5/10/11 Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/fowls-a-birds-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com