[Sca-cooks] Period Chicken breeds

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 19:28:29 PDT 2013

Could anyone provide me with information on chicken breeds available in
Europe during our time period (date and place would be a plus)?  And if
yo know of any such breeds, is there any source where I could get them
around NYC?  We're trying something, just for fun here: comparing
several types of chicken using one recipe (Markham's excellent way to
cook chicken) for flavor comparison.

So far, we think we'll be trying Chinese silk chicken, a free-range
chicken, a commercially produced chicken, a Cornish game hen or a Guinea
 hen, and possibly a "period breed" of chicken, if such a bird exists.

Regards,
Brekke

Benedicte,
I apologize for being so tardy in my response!!  Yes, time and place are crucial to your choice of birds! There is probably over 20 breeds of chickens that trace their bloodline to the Middle Ages and before, but you must pay close attention to not JUST names, but to body shape, feather patterns and social standing...
(Warning, modern Corning game hens, ARE modern chickens, they are simply Corning Rock crosses slaughtered at 8 weeks of age...not a separate species...IF that was what you were aiming for...)

England pre- Conquest -Dorking, Redcaps, Dunghills.
England post Conquest, post Crusades- Houdans or in Kent, Leghorns

France, Dorkings, Houdans, Crevecours Bresse,

The Low Countries, Dorkings, Campines, Hamburgs,

Spain, White Faced Spanish, Blue Andalusians, Minorcans/ Castillians

Italy, Leghorns, Dorkings, Post Crusades/ Paduans

Sicily, Leghorns, post Norman invasion, Sicilian Buttercups

German lands, Dorkings, Hamburgs, Campines Spitzhaubens, Turkens, Styrians,

Venice, IF Patriarchial status, Cochins post Polo, and from Constantinople

check out www.feathersite.com for a complete listing!!

Master Johann von Metten, OL
Poultry Laurel from the Middle
elevated by HRM Edmund and Kateryn III 2001
Barony of Sternfeld, Indianapolis.

www.facebook.com/Marcus Loidolt

"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,

if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,

let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"

(St. John Neumann)

"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"