[Sca-cooks] Rape Seed Oil, Canola Oil, and the Early Norse

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Apr 25 20:05:54 PDT 2013

"This source of oil was noticed by the Vikings, whose diet has  included
cod-liver oil for centuries. In ancient Norway, it was the custom to  keep a
basin of cod- liveroil and a dipper by the inner door of each house so  that
the family and visitors ..."
Foods and Nutrition Encyclopedia, Volume  1
edited by Audrey H. Ensminger

"Lighting was supplied by the  fire, oil lamps (using herring or seal oil),
and later on by wax candles"
The  A to Z of the Vikings
By Katherine Holman

"Both whale and seal  meat were considered delicacies, and the oil was used
for lamps and, in the case  of seal oil, was an alternative to butter."
Daily life of the Vikings
By Kirsten Wolf

How dependable is all this? Can't say.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

A History of Coffee and Other  Refreshments in Early Modern France
by Pierre Le Grand d'Aussy

In a  message dated 4/25/2013 3:32:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,